The BAA continually awards scholarships to graduate American-studies researchers at Bavarian universities. These scholarships are meant to support current research especially doctoral theses concerning North America. The grant shall be used for travel expenses to North America in the context of the research.
Which services are provided?
- A single support amount up to Euro 1,000;
- additionally on demand: works space - including access to library, internet, copying machine - in the facilities of the BAA at Munich Amerika Haus within walking distance to important libraries and archives and the Munich University.
Who can apply?
- Graduates with Staatsexamen or Magister, not earned more than three years ago,
- working on a thesis research project within the cultural or social sciences such as literary studies, linguistics, history, political sciences, sociology, cultural geography, economics, law, theology,
- whose thesis deals with the United States, Canada or inter-American questions.
Note that scholarships from other sources do not disqualify you to apply for the BAA scholarship.
How to apply?
- The application form is available at the BAA or as download .
- Add a short CV,
- an informative description of thesis/ research project,
- a short description of aims to achieve during scholarship, and
- an expert opinion of doctoral advisor.
Send us your application!
With the agreement of the executive director the scholarship may be available immediately after assignment. The scholarship holders are obliged to report to the BAA about the progress of their work after the scholarship.
All scholarship holders are invited to keep in touch with the academy.