Second International Summer Academy for Doctoral Students and Junior Faculty in American Studies
Modernity, Mobility, and Displacement: Transnational Perspectives from Detroit
May 13 till May 22, 2010 at Wayne State University, Detroit
As a follow-up to the 2009 summer academy "American Studies in a Transnational Perspective: Cultural Mobility and Intercultural Exchange" in Munich, the ten-day seminar of 2010 in transnational American Studies took place at Wayne State University, Detroit coorganized by Wayne State, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, LMU Munich, and the Bavarian American Academy. The academy presented a series of keynote lectures in American Studies by speakers from Wayne State University, other US universities, and German universities and also discussed individual projects. Detroit featured as one important focus of the seminar, with excursions to culturally relevant sites.
The program of the academy was structured into three parts:
1. keynote lectures on crucial issues of modernity, mobility, and displacement
2. work-in-progress presentations by doctoral students (and junior faculty)
3. cultural program (Rahmenprogramm): tours of Detroit (River Rouge Assembly Plant, Greenfield Village, Henry Ford Museum, Cranbrook Community, Heidelberg Project, Urban Gardens etc.).
We asked doctoral students and junior faculty working in the field of American Studies on issues of modernity, race, cultural transfer, space, globalization, mobility, migration, and related topics in American culture, history, and geography to apply electronically by March 1, 2010
- with a statement of purpose,
- 2-page project description, and
- one letter of recommendation.
Participants were selected based on the strength of their applications. Acceptance to the summer academy included a full ten-day academic and cultural program, accommodation, and a travel grant.
Tuition fee was 150 Euro for all participants.
The event was organized and funded by
Wayne State University, Detroit
Bavarian American Academy, Munich
Junior Year in Munich an der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich